Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Beep-Beep ang Sabi ng Jeep

Attended the noise barrage yesterday along Katipunan Avenue. As evidenced by my previous entry, I didn't have enough sleep (in fact, I was running on only 2 hours of sleep). After my History class at around 4:20PM, I was supposed to go to the library (AGAIN) to study & to take a nap. It was supposed to be a compromise since I wanted to attend the 6:00PM Mass at the Gesu. Anyway, I gave in (so did Hazel -- we slept at around the same time) to Sherwin's peer pressure to join the noise barrage. So there we were, under the seemingly endless light drizzle of the afternoon, shouting our lungs out amidst the cling-clanging of metal cans & beeping cars, encouraging the other motorists to honk their car horns to show support to our cause.

At one point during the noise barrage, I'm not sure if it was because I was just drained, but I fell silent. (Yes, I was silent in a noise barrage.) I got teary-eyed. (Iyakin talaga ang lola n'yo.) Why did my eyes water? Maybe I was just so overwhelmed with the whole scenario I just described above. In all honesty though, I didn't have a really intense emotion at that moment as compared to the other times I've been overwhelmed. Then one car passed by & inside there was a little girl with a puzzled look on her face. I wondered. What could she have thought about what we were doing? In a decade or so, would she understand why we were out there in the streets? Again, I went back to ask myself of what I can do for my country in educating the youth, if ever I do pursue a teaching career. Questions, questions.

At the Mass, bigshots came (e.g. THE Cory Aquino, Dudut Jaworski, Gilbert Remulla, president of DLSU). Heard 3 speeches within the Mass: Fr. Danny's, Fr. Ben's, & Tita Cory's. The general theme was about upholding the truth, virtues, & morals. I particularly liked what Fr. Ben said about not just having accountability to the truth, but also having accountability to the poor. It's sad to accept that no matter what happens to the country, they are always at the losing end. I am now reminded of the notion that education is the great equalizer. I personally would like to believe that this is so, but even when education is supposed to be standard & unbiased, it isn't so. Again, WHAT CAN I DO?

*nostalgia: off. back to present.*

I'm planning on leaving school early today, as opposed to my usual 9:00PM departure on Wednesday evenings since the rest of the week is pretty light for me. I just hope I don't slack off again in dong my papers.

On a lighter note, it's Cha's 22nd birthday!!!Ü (Sorry girl, I don't have an embarrassing picture of you good enough to put here in my blog. hahaha)

2 comments:

three stars and a sun said...

finally, nakasama ka na rin. sayang hindi tayo nagkita dun...

one way of contributing i think is to keep it alive. to share your passion about it to your friends (peer pressure mo rin sila hehe). and make them realize that they can do something. the very least they can do is to keep themselves informed, and form their own opinion about what's happening...

Chinky Ü said...

ah nandun ka pala? parang puro San Jose yung nakita ko eh. kala ko wala kayo. oh well.Ü

may nagsabi sa akin na sana may noise barrage ulit or community Mass na kasing laki nung Tuesday. sabi ko, well, sige, maganda na may mga venues tayo para ipakita ang mga paninindigan natin sa mga isyu ng bansa pero sana hindi na tayo mag noise barrage or rally dahil wala na namang nangyayaring matino sa Pilipinas. Hangad ko na mag-noise barrage at community Mass dahil masaya na tayong lahat. Wish lang natin, di ba? Hay.