Sunday, December 05, 2004

Task Force Noah

It's been a while since I last posted my thoughts on this blog. What's been keeping me? Fear of intimacy, I think. (Grabe, hanggang sa blog, takot pa rin magbukas ng sarili... Tsk. Issues.)

I've been reading some of my friends' blogs that have been filled with stories about their activities during the long weekend due to the suspension of classes. I couldn't help but notice how the past week's calamity had little impact on them for them to have had time to go out for some RnR, not that I have anything against having a good time with my friends nor am I bitter because I didn't go out & enjoyed myself in the sense that they did.

I'm just disappointed that the people I would expect to be volunteering to help the typhoon victims weren't there. I'm not condemning them for that nor am I being self-righteous about me being there. It was actually my first time to help out in relief operations. I guess I wanted to share the experience with them, they whom I always looked up to with all their passion for service.

Though the sky has cleared & the temperature's beginning to rise up again, there are still people out there with nothing left but the clothes on their skin when they left their homes to take shelter from the floods. As I watched the news during the days when the storm was at its fiercest, I couldn't help but see the despair that filled the eyes of the families that were stripped off of their homes in an instant. I could almost hear their thoughts asking, "What now? We have nothing left." The children, most of all, were the ones that concerned me the most. What will become of their futures now? As I sat in front of the TV that Thursday night, with the wind howling outside, I decided that I would do my part.

There's this saying that goes, "Everyone is called but few are chosen." But there is something lacking in this statement: the choice to answer to the call. I was definitely called. In philosophy class, we talked about metaphysical unease. I think that was it. I just HAD to get off my ass & do something.

Today, I woke up with different parts of my body aching from all the work that was done for two days. I barely had time to take pictures as remembrances of my experience in Task Force Noah but the memories will always remain alive in me. I take a little comfort in knowing that somewhere, a family is opening up a plastic bag full of goods that I helped pack that would provide them with warm stomachs & a little more hope.

It was all worth it.

2 comments:

nicolo said...

i couldn't agree more.

we look at things but not see it.
we hear sounds but not listen to it.
we sense emotions but not feel it.

how ironic people who are capable are so blind, deaf and numb.

Anonymous said...

i agree..
some people are too stuck in their own castles that they forget the whole of the kingdom. but let us not judge them perhaps they weren't aware of relief operations like you weren't on the previous years.

i'm touched that you went to help in the relief operations. that sister is going out of one's self to address the needy. that's charity. that's love. :)